Sewing our Sanity

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Handmade Shoes

Dear Monica,

I have been searching for a pair of navy flats for a while.  I haven't found anything that I really liked.  Navy flats always seem to be too fancy and I wanted something more casual.  So I decided to make my own.


I used the Everyday Shoe pattern from Shoeology.  It was a great, easy to follow pattern that included lots of step-by-step pictures (I am very visual) and directions for customizing the fit.  I made a test shoe to insure the fit before I made my final pair.  

The pattern calls for interfacing to add firmness and shape to the shoe.  I used Pellon Ultra Firm interfacing.  I used this because I was using quilting weight cotton and I wanted to make sure the shoe was a bit firmmer, and it was all I had.  For the soles I bought waterproof material from the Shoeology Etsy store.  

After I finished the shoes, I added insoles.  The pattern recommends buying a foam insole and trimming it down to size and wrapping fabric around the insole.  Instead, I bought gel insoles and glued fabric to the top of the gel insole with spray adhesive.  These add a lot of comfort and I don't feel like I am walking barefoot.  


I like the key hole cut on the top and they are secured with an elastic loop around a button.


I think they look smashing with my Old Navy red skinny jeans.  


I will used this pattern again, maybe with a tweed.  

XOXO

Emily










No comments:

Post a Comment