Sewing our Sanity

Monday, October 22, 2012

Halloween mice silhouettes

Dear Emily, 
 
 

Did you realize Halloween is a little over a week away! I feel like I am a little late to the party.A little behind on decorating. I did a bunch of stuff this weekend, figuring if I have three boxes of Halloween/Fall stuff in the attic I need to use it to justify using up the space for the boxes in the attic. 

I have wanted to make these mice ever since I saw them in Martha Stewart's magazine a few years ago. Making them required tedious cutting and I just never found the time. Okay, honestly, it is not tedious, but it was one of those projects that got shoved to the back burner every Halloween. Not this year. I found the template on Martha Stewart's website and transferred the image to a .png file to use in the Silhouette software. I cut them out of vinyl on my best friend, my Silhouette Cameo. Ta da! Creepy mice. And every time I come in the front door, I do a double take. And the kids love them.



I have been out of the transfer paper (the stuff you stick the vinyl to so it can be applied to your chosen surface, in this case the risers on the steps). I think it is a little pricey. Contact paper is too sticky, though I do remember your telling me you read somewhere that the contact paper at the dollar store is less tacky and works as transfer paper. I found this stuff, the white roll in the picture below, that works very well. Vinyl Ease.


I cut the shapes from black vinyl, removed the excess 


and cut them apart.

Then used the Vinyl Ease vinyl tape to apply them to the stairs. 

XOXO
Monica













1 comment:

  1. I love those! I wish I didn't have carpet on my stairs so I could do them too. And I will have to get some of the vinyl ease!

    ReplyDelete