Sewing our Sanity

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Dress A Girl Around the World

Dear Monica,

Yesterday morning I got together with a group of friends to make pillow case dresses for Dress A Girl Around the World.  Dress a Girl provides handmade dresses to girls around the world.


"By providing a new dress you may well be changing a young girl’s destiny. Village pastors tell us that a girl wearing a new dress presents an appearance that she is well cared for and may discourage would-be predators. We attach our Dress a Girl label on the outside of each dress sending an additional message that each girl is under the care of an organization. Thus giving her added protection from those who would harm her." 



We had sewers and non-sewers donate their time and talents.


Those that didn't sew were able to help the sewers by ironing, pinning the bias tape, threading elastic through casings, and even making bias tape!  




In just 2 hours we were able to get 18 dresses made! Our goal is to make 100 dresses by Christmas!  


My friend Elizabeth of By Cee Cee organized the sewing bee and has been promoting this wonderful organization.  She is hosting an auction to benefit Dress A Girl, with a 100% of the proceeds being donated.  I am donating a Puppet Show dress like this one I made Natalie, but the winner will be able to choose the size and fabric.  

I am so happy that I am able to donate my time and this gift of sewing.  I brought home some labels so that I can make a few dresses from the pattern provided on the Dress A Girl website.  I think I may also need to make Natalie a few while I am at it. 

XOXO
Emily










1 comment: