Sewing our Sanity

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Peanut butter "S'mores"

Dear Emily,

I love, love, love the kids paintings! What a terrific idea! The possibilities are endless!

We had a fun last-weekend-before school starts...bowling, camping out in the backyard, a sewing craft for the kids, and bows and arrows. Those last last two I'll share with you later this week. And yes, I did say camping out. Anthony got a tent from Grandma and Grandpa for his birthday and we finally had a chance to sleep in it. I started out with all three kids in the tent at 8. Within 5 minutes Caroline wanted to go in the house. By 9:30 I called Paul to come get Gabe because he would not go to sleep. Anthony then thought he saw lightening and wanted to go in. Why didn't I say the heck with it and go inside? Because I like sleeping on a too small mattress in a tent in the backyard? No. I didn't want him to give up and regret it and want to try again the next night.

Before we headed out to the tent, Caroline requested s'mores. We did not have chocolate bars but we did have three ingredients that make a marshmallow snack that is better, I think, than traditional s'mores. And not so sickening sweet. All you need is peanut butter, Ritz crackers, and marshmallows. And a toaster oven.

First, place desired number of crackers on a cookie sheet.

Spread peanut butter on the crackers.

Then top with a marshmallow.
These marshmallows look odd. They are the new stacker ones by Kraft. Not necessary, any marshmallow will do, I just happened to have these. Mini marshmallows are fine but if I use the regular size, I cut them in half since so the are easier to eat.

Toast but be sure to keep an eye on the, because once they start to brown they get dark fast. Cool a little before eating.

Remember our mom often made these on snow days, sometimes right after we came inside from playing in the snow. They make a great rainy day treat, too. Caroline requested them for a snack on Sunday, a rainy and dreary day.


XOXO
Monica




2 comments:

  1. So funny you posted this! I was thinking about them the other day and would have made them. Sadly I had no Ritz crackers. I agree...they are much better than S'mores, I think it is the salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to add thhAt saltines work, too.

    ReplyDelete